Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Time Limit

On our second date, you asked,
"Is this weird?"
I hadn't yet held your hand and I already knew
when we would break up

I said, "live for the moment"
and called you my temporary boyfriend

But three weeks is not enough
even for a speedy romance

and I still want to hold your hand,
sleep next to you under flannel sheets,
wrestle

three weeks ago,
I promised I'd leave you
three weeks ago,
I didn't think my heart would still be in my stomach
three weeks ago,
I wasn't dreaming of a picnic
after biking
sun kissing our kisses

I'm trying to let you go,
but the three weeks hold me here
memories
of footsteps in the sandy snow
thinking
if you could have only
been something more

what a perfect picture

Our last date--swimming
you coming back to my door
for one more goodbye kiss.

Maybe,
we should have known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment